20 January 2009
sound art: where bloop meets bleep
- general class info, scheduling, door codes, grading, etc
- discussion of final project requirements
- create an site-specific artwork with sound as an essential component
- this must be a new artwork created specifically for this class
- it can be sited anywhere accessible to the class within a reasonable amount of time
- It should represent an entire term's worth of work
- you have 14 more weeks -- get started!
- listen & look: quick look/listen at/to various works to get at the diversity of what we'll
call "sound art". we'll revisit many of these works later in the term.
- hands on: sound physics
- the wave-wave monoality: sound waves
- waves on string
- the speed of sound in air
- the speed of sound in wires
- standing waves
- Chladni patterns
- Rijke Tube
- Rubens' Tube
- calculating waveforms
- 10 minute presentation on an artwork (not your own!) with a prominent sound component.
due next week (Jan 27th).
- start thinking about your final project. really. due in 14 weeks!