[art+tech] [Fwd: Tenure-track hire in Intermedia (Communication Studies, Concordia University)]

douglas repetto douglas at music.columbia.edu
Mon Aug 11 10:53:48 EDT 2008

TENURE-TRACK POSITION IN INTERMEDIA
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATION STUDIES
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY, MONTREAL

Concordia University's Department of Communication Studies invites
applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant
Professor in INTERMEDIA. The Department has recently launched
Intermedia as a fourth production stream in its highly selective
undergraduate program, to complement established offerings in Film,
Video, and Sound. This innovation has been broadly conceived to take
account of the massive changes wrought by "the computerization of
culture" in the arts, in professional practice, and in the academy.
Our adoption of the term 'intermedia' is intended to address a
confluence of media practices – diverse, hybrid, liminal, analog and
digital – that cannot be easily captured in any one, established
medium. The stream currently draws on the principles and practices of
graphic design and typography, motion graphics, stopmotion animation,
interactivity and database documentary.

In order to strengthen and advance this innovative curricular
development in the field of communication studies we seek a highly
qualified, conceptually oriented theorist-practitioner with an MFA,
PhD, or equivalent in a related field, and a professional-level
portfolio of creative work, who will collaborate in enriching and
expanding this novel area of teaching, research and creative activity.
Candidates will be expected to be active researchers and creators,
teach and supervise students both at the undergraduate and graduate
levels.

The ideal candidate might, for example, be especially active in
research/creation in one or more of the following areas (and, ideally,
conversant in at least a few of the others): analog/digital
photography in any genre; minorities and social networking; digital
archiving; performance; hacking and residual media; mobile
technologies; free and open source software; data visualization and
information graphics; physical computing. We especially welcome
critical feminist approaches. The ideal candidate should have
experience teaching in an undergraduate studio environment, and be
capable of providing instruction in a coherent range of digital media
authoring and computing tools, eg Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash,
Processing, iMovie, Motion, HTML/CSS, Content Management Systems
(Drupal, Wordpress). An ability to work across and between some of
these media tools and platforms, and an active awareness of open
source alternatives, would be especially desirable.

Founded in 1965, the Department of Communication Studies at Concordia
University is Canada's oldest degree-granting department in the
discipline. The Department offers programs leading to the BA, Graduate
Diploma, MA, and PhD degrees. The undergraduate Degree in
Communication Studies is well known for its integration of media
production and critical theoretical perspectives; we offer the only
undergraduate program in Communication and Cultural Studies and the
only graduate diploma in Communication in Canada; our MA in Media
Studies is unique in its structure and focus; the bilingual and
inter-university PhD program offers access to a wide range of
resources and expertise. In keeping with Concordia's mission, the
Department fosters inclusivity in its research, curriculum, and
teaching practices, and is committed to serving the needs of a diverse
student population. Montreal, where both campuses are located, is a
world class city of over 3 million people, offering a rich and diverse
cultural life, and the intellectual stimulation of four major
universities. In addition, the city is a major new site of innovation
and excellence in emerging digital media technologies, with
significant government and private industry support. Candidates are
encouraged to visit our departmental website for additional
information concerning our programs and priorities:
http://artsandscience.concordia.ca/comm/

Subject to budgetary approval, we anticipate filling this position for
July 1, 2009. Review of complete applications begins November 1, 2008;
final deadline November 17. Applications should consist of: a letter
of intent and statement of teaching and research/creation interests;
curriculum vitae; documentation of recent work; samples of students'
work, course syllabi and teaching evaluations (if applicable); and,
three letters of reference.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian
citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.
Concordia University is committed to employment equity.

Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted;
portfolios will only be returned with the inclusion of a SASE.  No
electronic applications will be accepted.

Address all inquiries and applications to:

Professor Rae Staseson, Chair
Department of Communication Studies (CJ 3.230)
Concordia University
7141 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec  H4B 1R6

--