[art+tech] next dorkbot meeting!

douglas repetto douglas at music.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:23:11 EDT 2011

what: dorkbot-nyc meeting
where: Location One (Greene between Canal & Grand)
when: Wednesday, 06 April, 2011, 7-9pm
$$$: $$$FREE$$$ (donations to Location One appreciated!)

+++++++

The 132dc46th dorkbot-nyc meeting will take place at 7pm on Wednesday,
April 6th, 2011 at Location One in SoHo.

The meeting is free and open to the public. PLEASE BRING SNACKS AND
DRINKS TO SHARE!!! WE ARE HUNGRY!!!

We're always looking for (and playing) more dorkbot theme songs! Bring
or email one and we'll play it at the meeting. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO
SUBJECT YOU TO THE MEGADORKBOT THEM VIDEO AGAIN -- please, someone,
RESCUE US!!!

+++++++

Featuring the periuranion and apouranion:

Dustin Grella: Animation Hotline
Animation Hotline is a series of daily animations where I use messages
left on my voicemail for content. In a day and age when most of the
newspapers have moved from print to the internet, I'd like to do the
same for the funny pages. Leave me a message before the dorkbot session
and I'll try to animate it. Use the keyword "dorkbot" somewhere in the
message, so I know to bring it in to screen that night. Animation
Hotline +1 212-683-2490
http://vimeo.com/channels/animationhotline

Joelle Bitton: Hide & Seek
Joelle Bitton recently realized that most of her work dealt with showing
and hiding inner thoughts, fantasies, dreams, personal geographies. All
themes that particularly fit the interactive use of interfaces. She's
therefore keen to share her findings by showing - and hiding - some of
her extroverted/secretive work.
http://www.superficiel.org/joelle

Ed Bear and Lea Bertucci: ExiTrip
ExiTrip is a project by Artist/Engineer team Lea Bertucci and Ed Bear
and sponsored by Free103point9. As is, this outmoded iPod accessory only
functions with a single generation of iPod Nano, which is no longer
manufactured. At 40¢ each on Ebay, the low price creates unprecedented
distribution opportunities for a low power transmitter and encourages
end-user experimentation. We have hacked the iTrip to function without
necessity of an iPod, vastly increasing its usefulness as a development
platform for artists and designers. Since September of 2010, we have
distributed these hacked devices to artists of different disciplines and
are documenting their work for a forthcoming book. How can we, as
artists, thinkers, hackers and designers break the cycle of electronic
waste that is perpetuated by planned obsolescence and bad design?
http://exitrip.org

.........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........