[chiplotle-discuss] Temperamental Plotter.

V!ctor Adan vctradn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:49:12 EST 2012

Diogo,

answering inline...

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 01:51:57AM +0000, Diogo Tudela wrote:

> I am talking about one single shape, containing a lot of information,
> and the thing
> is that my plotter is getting MORE & MORE TEMPERAMENTAL!
>
> Sometimes, while drawing/printing, she seems to collapse, and she starts to
> scribble
> around, always in straight lines, and then she gets back to the drawing and
> it proceeds
> normally, usually, leaving a gap on the image outline.
>
> a) At first, I thought that this behavior was related to the amount of
> data/complexity of the
> image that I was sending to the plotter. But, this has happened with
> extremely simple
> drawings and, on the other hand, this plotter has already printed images
> composed of
> thousands of points.

Yes, if you're using Chiplotle to send the data to the plotter this is almost certainly not the case. Chiplotle manages the feed to the plotter so that the plotter's buffer never gets filled.

> b) Then, I thought that there could be a relation between the
> frequency/rate of printings
> that I was doing consecutively. But I was wrong.

Not sure what you mean here.

> c) At this point, I am considering the possibility of dividing my spiral
> into a series of arcs
> or bezier curves, so that, instead of considering one massive shape, the
> plotter will draw
> the same amount of data divided in different bodies. I will try this
> tomorrow.

Probably better to find the root problem. Could be your hardware... do you have another plotter? I would try plotting in another machine to see how it behaves.
Could also be the hpgl file itself, that is somehow not getting converted correctly from illustrator to HPGL. More unlikely, but possible.
Have you tried visualizing it with io.view()? Is the shape well formed?

> Finally, just to make things clear. My work flow is this:
>
> Processing/Illustrator > PDF > PStoEdit > HPGL > Chiplotle;
>
> So, if you have experienced some similar problems, if you've found a way to
> make your
> plotter's behavior stable, or if you know something about HPGL's DO's and
> DON'T's, please,
> drop me a line. I would be much appreciated.

Douglas has the same plotter and his would sometimes do weird things too, like stop suddenly and the like. I believe he opened it up, cleaned it, and got it to behave well.

Victor.