[chiplotle-discuss] Houston Instruments DMP-162R

Alexander Petrowsky alexpetrowsky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:47:54 EDT 2012

hi plotting friends.

so I bought myself a plotter. A Houston Instrument DMP 162R.
a beautiful, massive machine.

I installed chiplotle ran it, and got this message after it "sniffed"
for plotters.

Alexanders-MacBook-Pro:Chiplotle-0.3.0 alexanderpetrowsky$ chiplotle

+-----------------------+
|   Chiplotle! v.0.3.0  |
+-----------------------+

Scanning serial ports...
Found ports:
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync
 /dev/tty.PL2303-000013FA

Sniffing for plotters in all serial ports...
Found no plotter connected to any of the serial ports.
Is your plotter on?
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not subscriptable
chiplotle>

My setup is: MacbookPro running OS X 10.7.2
vantec USB to serial adapter (with brandnew driver for lion - that alone
was a huge obstacle), then a serial cable, then the plotter.

Any ideas what the issue could be here?
My assumption is that it cannot identify the plotter, since it is a
Houston Instrument
This plotter can use both HPGL, and DMPL, and I have it set to HPGL.

any help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
alex