[cmc-users] [Fwd: [music-dsp] Call for Students! - Audacity and Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2008]

douglas repetto douglas at music.columbia.edu
Mon Mar 24 17:29:04 EDT 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [music-dsp] Call for Students! - Audacity and Google Summer
of Code	(GSoC) 2008
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:21:15 -0800
From: Vaughan Johnson <vaughan at audacityteam.org>
To: music-dsp at music.columbia.edu

We are very happy to announce that Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) has been accepted as a mentoring
organization for the Google Summer of Code 2008
(http://code.google.com/soc/2008/)! GSoC is "a program that offers
student developers stipends to write code for various open source projects".

We are now seeking student participants. As we wrote in our application,
"At student selection stage, we look for evidence that the student has a
real interest in our project, 'Do they actually use it?' rather than
just choosing some project that is part of GSoC."

If you are an interested student, please follow these steps:

1. Review the GSoC FAQ
    ("http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html",
    especially from

"http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_student_apply").

2. Make sure you are eligible

("http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_eligibility").

3. On the Audacity Wiki, check the project ideas page,
    "http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=GSoC_Ideas".

4. If you find an interesting idea, or have one of your own, also check

"http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Writing_GSoC_Proposals".

5. Then be in touch with us -- far better to discuss plans with us
     before applying.

If you know any students who might be interested, possibly those already
involved in music/audio research, please point them to our website
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) for this information.

Thanks!

- Vaughan Johnson