[dorkbotbristol-blabber] Empty Shop event

Ale Fernandez skoria at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 06:56:06 EDT 2010

Aah bet me to it! :) Thanks David for putting it all online!

Well here's what I'd started putting together yesterday after reading the docs.

1. The council's documents are the best way of figuring out the actual
guidelines and finding shops. I found them with a quick search so I
won't trouble you all with huge URLs...

2. We probably need a bank account. In my experience the coop bank is
the way to go for this kind of thing and has a simple way of opening
accounts for groups like ourselves. We may need 2 or more signatories
though.

3. The application says we are applying for 200 pounds arts council
money. Has this been done?

4. Which shop:

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/asset/?asset_id=32229219
this document says grosvenor rd/ashley rd are within the area. There
is a shop that seems unused opposite the magpie squat. Lots of shoddy
looking closed shops further down, past the salvation army building -
probably cheap.

Good not to underestimate the wonderful power of streetview for
checking this all out. The amount of closed shops in Bedminster parade
is incredible too... Maybe lots of them would be up for letting us
have it for a month for a hundred quid or promise to keep it tidy...
But it all requires actually going there and asking.

Also the proposal mentions 100 stokes croft. Is this no longer an
option? What does the owner say about a 1 month temporary lease?

Ale

On 28 April 2010 22:59, John Honniball <coredump at gifford.co.uk> wrote:
> David Henshall wrote:
>>
>> I've placed a copy of the Empty Shop proposal online for all to see.
>
> Had a quick look at the proposal, and the thing that sprang to
> mind was the Drawdio, a modified pencil that makes sounds as it
> draws. The pencil line and the user's body form part of the circuit,
> and circuit resistance determines the frequency of the tone produced.
> It's a very simple 555 timer oscillator:
>
> http://web.media.mit.edu/~silver/drawdio/
>
> http://www.ladyada.net/make/drawdio/
>
> http://www.instructables.com/id/Drawdio/
>
> --
> John Honniball
> coredump at gifford.co.uk
> .........dorkbot: people doing strange things with electricity..........

~The Cycle of the formation and disintegration http://alefernandez.org.uk/
   of the universe influences the formation and disintegration
of nature, which in turn is closely related with human life" - Yasuji Kimikura