[dorkbotlondon-blabber] [OT] iBooks and Airport Extreme/Broadcom Wifi hacking

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Mon Jul 11 13:18:59 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 05:51:08PM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:
> At 15:13 +0100 5/7/05, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> >Now that Apple's laptops are plummeting in cost, I'm thinking of picking
> >one up second hand to run Linux on it. (and thus of course Perl, which is
> >about the closest this post will get to being on-topic.)
>
> Why not stick with the Mac OS X system? Mach kernel, bash, Perl and a lot
> more?
>
> Or Open Darwin, if you must!

I guess I just like sticking with what I know and like.. I have Gentoo Linux
running on my other systems.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with OSX - it's just that I don't
know if I have the time or headspace to relearn yet another entirely new
system of Doing Things.

As it happens, I picked up the iBook on the weekend. I've installed a new
hardrive into it, and Gentoo. Seems to work pretty well - I was worried about
power management, suspend/standby, that sort of thing, but it seems to
cope fine.

The wireless card isn't supported though; I don't suppose anyone can recommend
a USB WiFi adaptor that will? Looking at ebuyer.co.uk and googling for the
listed products + "linux ppc" is a bit depressing so far :(

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world