[dorkbotnyc-blabber] mono powered speakers

Brent Buescher brent.buescher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:29:18 EST 2008

You won't get cheaper than half a normal computer speaker set; in fact
you should be able to find computer speaker sets with one dead speaker
for free.

The only problem with that approach is that computer speaker
amplifiers (and similar things for mp3 players and such) have fairly
low-impedance inputs.  This means they put a load on your circuit when
you hook them up to it, which can make it behave differently than when
they're not hooked up.  May or may not matter for your application.

The little Radio Shack speaker has a high-impedance input, or at least
older models did.  I have one in my toolbox for tracing out audio
signals and so on.  It is a little expensive for what you get and
adding a wall wart doesn't make it any cheaper.

If you want something bigger with high-impedance inputs, watch
discount stores like Wal-Mart and Target for when they put their cheap
little guitar amps on sale.

Another approach: if you trace out radios you can usually find the
input to the audio amplifier and add an auxiliary input.  Wal-Mart has
$5 clock radios that would be easy to convert into little mono
amplifiers.

Brent