[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Techshop update - Beaverton, Aug 31st

Paul Stoffregen paul at pjrc.com
Sat Jun 28 09:31:06 EDT 2008

I got a reply from Techshop with the latest info.  Here it is.  (looks
like I botched posting this a couple days ago...)

-Paul

Hello Paul,

After many months of dealing with lawyers, looking at facilities,
planning, and securing financing, we are moving forward with Portland
Techshop.

- Where: SW Allen Blvd

We re-booted the facility search, and are in the process of securing a
lease on a 36,000 sq. ft. property on SW Allen Blvd.  The building is
just east of Hwy 217 and includes extensive power, lighting, compressed
air distribution and plenty of room. Some build-out will be required for
classrooms, member ammenities and offices. Get your tools and gloves ready.

It is our intent to open a second TechShop in the North or Northeast
section of Portland as soon as possible, since research shows that there
is a clustering of makers there and in Vancouver.

- When: August 31st

This is later than the July 4th date we were touting last February but
feel it is doable if we don't hit any more speed bumps.  The legal
formalities will take another month.  The next meet-up will be at the
facility itself as soon as we get the keys.

- What:

A representative from TechShop HQ - Menlo Park has just returned from an
Industrial Machinery Trade Show in China.  Some of the big CNC machines
should start arriving late July.

- TechShop at Maker Faire

Jim Newton and the folks from the Menlo Park shop made a pretty big
splash at this year's Maker Faire.  Take a look at:

http://www.core77.com/blog/videos/core77_video_driveby_maker_faire_techshop_9738.asp

to watch the interview.

- Advanced Membership

If you would like to sign up for a membership prior to the opening, you
can reserve your spot at:

http://portland.techshop.ws/membership.html

Then you will have access to the tools, equipment and space to make the
things you want when the doors open.

- Contact

If you are interested in participating in the Lender Program or have any
questions in general, feel free to write:

dcole at portland.techshop.ws

Very Best Regards,
Denney Cole
503-313-5897