[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Does benito5 only program but not debug AVRs

Transistor Toaster transistortoaster at fastmail.fm
Mon Jun 30 00:21:43 EDT 2008

Dan,
Thanks for the links. The
http://www.scienceprog.com/build-your-own-avr-jtagice-clone/ is a clone
of what Atmel product name (Digikey.com part number ATJTAGICE2-ND)?

I am currently writing C code in code::blocks, compiling by hand with
winavr and would need to debug. I typed avr-gdb, included with winavr,
just to see what would happen and don't know too much what. I already
have windows software that talks to my circuit, so I don't want to work
with my Linux distro.

So, I won't really need anything else besides Ponyprog  one single time,
then I can use AVRstudio ( that will launch winavr by itself) for all C
compilation, programming and emulation, right???

Frank

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:26:26 -0700, "Dan Strother"
<dan.strother at gmail.com> said:
> It's possible to build a clone of Atmel's JTAG ICE:
> http://www.scienceprog.com/build-your-own-avr-jtagice-clone/ (or buy,
> for a rather lot less than Atmel charges:
> http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=7 ). These still
> rely on Atmel's firmware, though (which won't work on hardware that
> doesn't look very similar to a JTAG ICE). You're not tied into AVR
> Studio, at least - you can use GDB with the JTAG ICE:
> http://avarice.sourceforge.net/ .
>
> Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, no one has successfully built a
> clone of the JTAG ICE mkII; so, if you really want to use debugWire,
> you may have to fork over the $300 for the mkII...
>

> Dan S.
>

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Paul Stoffregen <paul at pjrc.com> wrote:
> > All my debug stuff is for the NXP/Philips LPC2000 chips, which are based on
> > an ARM7 (32 bit) core.  I am using the AT90USB82 chip as a USB to JTAG
> > adaptor, but I can only debug 32 bit ARM chips, not Atmel's 8 bit AVR chips.
> >
> > For an analogy, consider using a USB-serial adaptor with an FTDI chip to
> > program a bare-bones Arduino.  The adaptor uses a FTDI chip, but it only
> > programs the AVR (Arduino) chip, not a FTDI chip.
> >
> > Most AVR chips have debug wire, which is a closed, proprietary protocol.
> >  Some also have JTAG.  While JTAG itself is an open spec, JTAG itself only
> > tells you how to access registers inside the chip.  To actually use JTAG,
> > additional specs are necessary to know what registers are available and how
> > to use them (it's usually quite complicated).  Atmel has published boundary
> > scan info for some chips (which allows manipulating the external pins for
> > testing the circuit board traces), to the best of my knowledge, Atmel has
> > never released  JTAG debug register specs which would be necessary to use
> > that JTAG port to debug an AVR processor.
> >
> > If those JTAG register specs are available for AVR chips, please tell me
> > where.
> >
> > Without that info, there is no hope of ever making an open debug tool for
> > the AVR/Arduino (which is the main reason I'm using the ARM chip).
> >

> > -Paul
> >

> >> Paul Stoffregon has done some work towards this using the at90usb82. Debug
> >> wire as I understand it is Atmel proprietary.

  Transistor Toaster
  transistortoaster at fastmail.fm

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html