[dorkbotpdx-blabber] How does the AT90USB162 bootloader know of which method

Donald Delmar Davis ddelmardavis at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 16:40:48 EDT 2008

The at90usb series has a fuse bit for HWB (hardware boot) and if the
fuse is set then it checks to see if the HWB pin is pulled before
entering either the boot section or the application section. This is
pretty well described in the boot sequence section of the datasheet.

The chips come pre programmed with a boot section that is a Device
Firmware Updater. It can be reprogrammed to do whatever. Dean Camera's
MyUSB library has source code for a DFU bootloader and one that acts
like an stk500 over a cdc device.

If in your search for more io you check out the 90usb647 family then
plan on using deans bootloaders as the stock one is busted.

Thanks for the links. I am thinking about testing out one of the JTAG
clones with the benito for the serial.

Since you have no fear of tqfp I suggest you check out the
mega(16/32/64/)5 family as well as the at90usb64(6/7) all of them have
the same footprint as the mega128 at a fraction of the cost. the
larger usb parts require only 6 pin changes (the usb specific ones) to
work with in the same place as the mega128.