[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Help getting started on a project. Ideas at the meeting?

Jayson Falkner jfalkner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:55:27 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm in need of some help to kick of my first project. Hopefully
someone in the group will be interested. I'd like to mod a guitar hero
guitar to put an arduino between the normal 5 button input and the
wiimote. It'd have two modes: normal play (the chip just passes
through input) and recorded play (the chip plays for you).

For phase II of the project. I'd like to figure out how I can hook up
5 3-prong outlets to the guitar. Each would go on and off with the
pressing of the buttons. The idea is to hook up the Christmas lights
at my family's house (or other random stuff) and have it flicker on
and off in sync with the axe.

What I need help with:
- How to get the right kits, cords, and software to program the
arduino from my Ubuntu-running laptop.
- The basics on how to code for arduino. I'm a good coder. I just need
a logistical walkthrough.
- Ideas for how to hook up the outlets to the guitar.

I'll record and blog about the project. Also, beer for whoever helps.
Any takers?

Thanks,
Dr. J