[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Small Ferrite toroids

dave madden dorkbot at mersenne.com
Sun Apr 19 01:03:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 00:52 -0400, "Steve D." <pxlkrz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Anyone know of a local source for small Ferrite toroids? I'm looking
> for something in the 1/4" diameter range.

Ha ha!  What a coinkidink!   I just bought a couple handfuls of those
from Digikey when my local possibilities (a magnetics shop in Vancouver)
dried up.  How many do you need?  Any particular permeability or
anything?

What are you doing with them?  (I used mine them to wind some tiny
inductors for a boost converter to go from 3V to 110V or so, to run some
nixie tubes from a battery-operated microcontroller.  It's not going so
well so far, though.  I can get 50-60V easily enough, but that's not
enough to light the tube.  <ominous pause>  Yet.)

d.