[dorkbotpdx-blabber] science question: spectrascopic measurement?

montyg at bittybot.com montyg at bittybot.com
Wed Jan 21 15:31:47 EST 2009

Mykle,

I might be able to help out here.  I have the business end of a
spectrograph (variable diffraction grating; stepper-motor driven
scanning mirror; and photo-multiplier tube) that should do the trick.
I need to make an interface for it, as I don't have the control box
that goes w/ it, but that's not a problem.  I can't guarantee any
accuracy, but using a couple sources of known wavelengths (like a HeNe
laser) as references, we should be able to get a good idea of
frequency distribution.

We'd still need to work out some optics to get the light into the unit though.

Are you thinking of setting this up for a day?  This probably wouldn't
be suitable for a month long installment.

Monty