[dorkbotpdx-blabber] But is it ahht. (was ...)

Hans Lindauer armatronix at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 9 20:46:42 EDT 2009

It might be fun to have a science fair type of thing, especially if it
could be spun to attract artists, like as part of a First Thursday kind
of thing maybe.  I have a feeling that if artists knew what was possible
and who they could collaborate with / learn from, some interesting
things could result.

As far as the art vs. technology divide goes, I kind of look at it like
this, by way of analogy:  I used to work for a guitar manufacturer, and
I made tools to make guitars.  Other people made the guitars.  I did
what I could to make their jobs as easy as possible and to enable them
to produce the highest quality of instrument that was possible.  Still
other people used the guitars to make music.  My art was in the
toolmaking, I didn't necessarily feel like I had to make the music (or
the guitars).  There are people who get paid to do that and are very
good at it, and hearing them play the guitars gave me great satisfaction.

I guess part of what I'm saying is that collaboration is a good thing,
as it allows people to focus upon their strengths and to synergize
(that's a new word) things which they might not have been able to
produce alone.  I'm really glad that there are people around who are
interested in geeking out on the low-level stuff, because it makes it so
that the rest of us don't have to worry about it so much, and spend less
time having to decipher the specialized languages of the software and
hardware worlds.  If those people wish they had better tools for
expression, then I'm all for helping them to develop those, but I'm
certainly not going to put a relative value on an end product versus a
useful tool or technique.

-Hans