[dorkbotpdx-blabber] But is it ahht. (was ...)

Helena Schniewind lena at opticnoodle.com
Thu Mar 12 12:52:17 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

This thread couldn't come at a better time. I'm an artist who uses all
sorts of A/V stuff in live performance, I've just relocated to Portland,
and I was involved in Dorkbot London while I was doing an MA there. You
can get an overview of what I'm doing and interested in at
http://www.opticnoodle.com

Things that came to my mind while reading this thread:

1) Probably the best place to start is to present my work at the next
presentation type dorkbot. Sign me up!

2) I'd also be up for leading a performance-based workshop. Or series of
workshops. Performance techniques/expression for shy folks/bold
dorks/just people, explore ways to incorporate classic dorkbot creations
into interactive performance environments, etc. I'm open to addressing
any aspect of tech in performance that there seems to be intereste in.
Feel free to contact me with things you've been curious about.

3) I am in desperate need of a technical collaborator. I've got a
prototype system I created in Isadora that I'd love to migrate to open
source tech. Too involved to go into here.
Quite possibly a long-term thing, strong emphasis on the collaboration bit.

4) I might be useful as a sort of UI consultant for "interactive"
projects. I'm really keen to push the user's experience of interactive
work out of safe places that we've been lulled into and would ask tough
questions that I hope would help move ideas past the creator/creation
love affair into meaningful engagement with an audience.

5) Medialab Prado (http://medialab-prado.es/) has an interesting model
for fostering the types of collaborations discussed here. fyi. reference...

Cheers,
Helena S.