[dorkbotpdx-blabber] 12 volt 20 amp power supply to drive a couple of pumps

John Luciani jluciani at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 22:42:24 EDT 2009

The problem is you need to drop too much voltage across your regulator. You
will need to dissipate 240W (12V * 20A). You could parallel devices with
diodes but it is still a lot of heat (just spread out a little more).

You either need to get a transformer with a lower voltage output or use
a DC-DC converter.

Is the input power source the AC line (120VAC)? If it is the cheapest way to get
12V @ 20A would be a PC power supply.

(* jcl *)

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Dem Chi <dementedchihuahua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm making a power supply to drive two 12V 8amp DC motors. They are for a
> filtration box. They will be used both intermittently and sometimes for long
> durations. I've got a bridge rectifier from mouser rated for what the
> transformer that I have outputs (621-GBJ20005-F). I'm getting a 24V line at
> ~20 amps. I need to take this down to a 12 volt line and current limit it so
> that I don't burn up my pumps. I am also taking off a 10 volt line for an
> Arduino but this is less important at this point.
>
> My problem is that voltage regulators that I've found--not many--that can
> take 24 volts and output 12 volts with 20 amps are expensive. Can anyone
> suggest a circuit or IC or anything that will take the 24 volts I'm giving
> it and output a 12 volt 20 amp line?
>
> Priorities are cost and ease of construction. No surface mount parts or
> anything like that.
>
> Any help is good help! Thanks
> Stan
> --
> http://www.urbansurvivalists.com/

You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.

http://www.luciani.org