[dorkbotpdx-blabber] Re: solor powered Dorkboard, fact or fiction?

Jared Boone jboone at earfeast.com
Tue Mar 31 22:43:08 EDT 2009

The primary difference I'm aware of between the ATmega168 and the
ATmega168V is that the "V" will operate down to 1.8V. I don't think it
consumes any less power than the other part, at a given voltage and
configuration. But as Laen alluded to, the lower the voltage you can
operate at, the more juice you can squeeze out of a discharging
supercap.

I have spent a lot of time getting my Chronulator power consumption
minimized. Since it's based on an ATmega168V, and is compatible with
the Arduino tools, I have a lot of knowledge and code you can steal.
Most of the tricks I employed are simply a matter of putting the chip
to sleep when it's not doing anything, and making sure the chip never
does anything it doesn't need to. Doing these things, I am able to
operate a Chronulator at 1.8V and less than 200 microamps, which turns
into 360 microwatts. Most of that goes to the meters that indicate the
time. Take those out, and power consumption is maybe 20 microwatts on
average.

So what's your project, exactly? You have motors and an LED. What do
the motors do, how often do they do it, and for how long? The same
goes for the LED. And what kind of processing/computation will the
Dorkboard be doing -- how often, and for how long? Depending on your
answers, we could conceivably get your *average* current consumption
down into microwatt territory too.

	- Jared