[dorkbotsea-blabber] PIC book and programmer for beginners

J. Aaron Holmes jaholmes at silicon-arcana.com
Thu Mar 16 11:55:11 EST 2006

Hey Joe, group,

I'd just like to put in a good word for the PICKit 1.
It's a bargain.  Got mine from DigiKey a few years
ago.  I've used it for many PIC-based projects.  The
only downer is that the socket on it is an ordinary
14-pin DIP socket, which is a bit of a pain if you're
constantly dropping new code on the PIC, then plucking
it out and sticking it in a breadboard with your
circuit.  My first PIC-based project using the PICKit
1 was a transmitter controller for amateur radio
transmitter hunts.  If you scroll to the bottom of the
page (link below), you'll see what I did to my PICKit
1 to make it a better programmer:

http://silicon-arcana.com/microbe/index.htm

Since that picture was taken, I've added the remaining
jumper wires to permit programming 14-pin PICs.  This
is a very worthwhile modification, if I do say so
myself ;)

I can also put in a good word for PICC Lite, the C
compiler that comes with the PICKit 1 (and is also a
free download from HI-TECH's web site).  It works
great, and is what I used for the project above.
However, it doesn't support very many of the 14-pin
PICs though, and the non-Lite version is >$1000 (or
was the last time I checked).  I've used assembly
(always free!) on recent projects and found it to be
much less painful than I expected.

I would also point out that DigiKey currently has
Lumex-brand 16x2 character LCD display modules for
just over $5.00, and I have ported a display driver
for them to the 16F630, which is about the cheapest
14-pin PIC you can get (no ADCs, serial ports,
etc.--about $1.50 each, maybe less).  And the 16F630
is supported by the PICKit 1.  All you need is the
PIC, the display, and a couple of resistors and you're
set.  In advance of my project's completion, I'd be
happy to share the driver code with interested parties
or discuss how to drive them with other PICs
(off-list).

Best Regards,
Aaron, N7OE