[dorkbotsea-blabber] PC screen capture utility?

Andrew Becherer andrew at becherer.org
Thu May 3 13:54:59 EDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Toby Paddock <toby at paddfam.com> wrote:
> Anyone know a simple/cheap way to...
> - capture the screen
> - save as a .jpg (overwrite the same file again and again)
> - wait like 30 seconds
> - do it again

Since you didn't specify a platform I will throw out the Linux way.
Here is a script adapted from a site (found through google) that uses
an awesome command line utility called ImageMagick. You could easily
change this script to adjust the frequency of capture, the format of
the file, etc. I'm reasonably certain this will work as advertised but
I can't test it until I get home.

#!/bin/sh
# A simple bash script to screen capture
# adapted from http://tinyurl.com/34afcg (seartipy.com)
# remember to chmod +x this file
#
# Supply two arguments, the window id and number of captures

let x=1

# loop until it has captured the number of captures requested
while [ "$x" -le "$2" ]
do
  # see http://www.imagemagick.org/script/import.php
  # for more options
  import -window root "screenshot.jpg"

  # sleep 30 seconds
  sleep 30s

  # increment the counter
  let x+=1
done

--
Andrew Becherer
Undergraduate, Computing and Software Systems