Lambdoma

wf wf at n...
Wed Jul 23 16:12:03 EDT 2003

Dear Phil Burk,

as a music-theorist I'm thinking about things as intervals,
chord-structure, tuning and so on - in a systematical as well as in a
historical sense. Recently I discovered your free JSyn-SDK and did some
experiments with it. Well, I'm not only not a programmer, but also very
unexperienced in informatics. But reading your invitation in the
JSyn-mailing-list now encouraged me, to indicate you a JSyn-Applet I
tried some months ago. I don't think the code is well (extremely long
and awkwardly), but to my surprise it works.

http://www.nefkom.net/wf/java/Lambdoma.11/Lambdoma11.html

"Lambdoma 1" is an attempt to realize the old pythagorean tuning-table
as described in the writings of Hans Kayser ("Akróasis", 1946) etc.. The
64 colored fields represent free programmable parts of the infinite net
of frequencies deriving from a given basic-note as overtones and
"undertones" (the base-frequency is default represented in the upper
left field - the displayed numbers a/b in the fields show the
harmonic-coordinates; a = number of overtone; b = number of
"undertone"). Moving the mouse over a colored field changes its color
and creates a sinewave-signal according to the displayed
frequency-ratio, a corresponding envelope shapes the volume. Clicking on
a colored field (color changes) makes the sound permanent until clicking
again (color changes back) in order to finish the sound. So you can
combine all desired kinds of harmonic chords. Typing in the
base-frequency (default is 220 Hz) in the parameter-field "Grundfrequenz
in Hz" and pressing <enter> you can change the tuning of the whole
table. Typing in a number (1 - 999; default is 1) in the
parameter-fields "Oberton-Position" (overtone-position) and
"Unterton-Position" (undertone-position) and pressing <enter> you can
"move" the whole table to any part of the lambdoma structure you want.
The displayed frequency-ratios will change immediately as well as the
tuning of the according sinewave-generators does. So, the higher you go
in the numbers determining the table-position, lots of various vibrating
micro-intervalls (right to say 'hovering'? - in German "Schwebung")
between frequencies in low distances should be heard.

I'd be very interested in what you think about it.

Wolfgang Fulda