[linux-audio-dev] libcui - design-question

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Thu Sep 15 11:38:11 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:28:52PM +0100, Martin Habets wrote:

> Protocol wise, it would be interesting to just use the X protocol.
> i.e. create an X server that writes to the console. This would work
> for any gui application, and you could ignore "uninteresting" graphics
> stuff.
> Not sure how to deal with the mouse in such an environment.
> ncurses would make things easier I guess.
>
> Just a thought.

Not a very good one, IMHO. At the level of the X protocol, things
are 'flattened' to their basic operations, and the intention behind
them is completely lost. You can't expect a text based interface to
interpret all the graphic commands that go into e.g. drawing a slider,
and extract what was really meant by all this, let alone find out
that its new postion is now meant to be '-10 dB'.

--
FA