To MacBook or not to MacBook, that's the question
pieterp at joow.be
Fri Mar 16 05:48:41 EDT 2007
I'm considering to buy a new laptop, and a message some time ago on the
list regarding a comparison between Dell and MacBook made me reconsider
my stance towards MacBook. The difference between the price for
comparable systems is indeed not that big, especially not since they
offer a 20% reduction if you become 'student developer'. On top of that,
getting OSX attracts me more than getting Vista ;).
So now I am considering getting one of these top-notch macbook pro's,
but I'd like to inform myself beforehand.
My basic requirement list:
* runs linux with all hardware supported
* ruggedness (I carry it around everywhere)
* support quality (Apple's guarantee doesn't seem as good as the one
* what kind of problems will I see when I want to install Fedora on it?
* are all interrupts routed to the same line (as in the mini's)? I don't
want IRQ sharing between the SATA controller and the audio card/firewire
* how about the ATI x1600 graphics card?
Are there any MacBook pro owners on the list that care to answer my
questions and/or give a general feedback (feedforward?) on the MacBook?
More information about the linux-audio-user