Multimedia API in Windows

Vesa Erla Vesa.Erla at a-lehdet.fi
Thu Aug 13 08:01:15 EDT 1998

Hi Paul,

Microsoft has just released the new DirectX6 SDK, which contains the DirectSound API.
You can download the SDK for free from http://www.microsoft.com/directX/default.asp
(Some +90megs to download!).
Sample apps are included (including wave-file processing).
DirectSound is a true 32-bit API (with audio cards that have 32-bit DirectX drivers).
It gives you very low latency playback (almost realtime) and is easy to program with.
If you're new to Windows multimedia then DirectX is the way to go,
I'd forget about the old WaveOut and MCI-stuff (DirectX works with older cards too).
You can use Borland compilers (CBuilder3 and BC5) without pain:
there's Borland specific object libraries that Microsoft included in the SDK.
Microsoft Press just released a new book, Inside DirectX or something.
And there are a couple DirectX-programming newsgroups at MS-site.

Hope this helps,
Vesa Erla