MIDI on a ethernet?

Kim Flint kflint at annihilist.com
Mon Nov 23 14:27:33 EST 1998

In attempting this, you should be aware that ethernet is a
non-deterministic network architecture. (the collision detect arbitration
makes it impossible to predict latency...)  This means you will likely have
problems with timing accuracy in your midi commands. Using 100base-T would
help, as would insuring there is no other traffic on the network. This is
why ethernet has regulary not been selected by various standards
organizations for audio/music network applications.

kim

kflint at annihilist.com       | http://www.annihilist.com/loop/loop.html
http://www.annihilist.com/  | Loopers-Delight-request at annihilist.com