CPU vs DSP

James McCartney james at clyde.as.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 10 07:45:04 EDT 1998

At 4:12 AM -0700 9/10/98, Stephan M. Sprenger wrote:

>I don't have the numbers for a PC, but the informal bechmarks I ran here
>between a 21061/40MHz SHARC and a Macintosh 7100/80 (a PPC 601 processor
>@ 80MHz with 256k 2nd level cache) is that they perform approximately
>equal (C code on both processors and a realworld application, not some
>narrow 'fp only' tests or the like). The C compiler from AD isn't very
>good at optiomizing code, so this figure is very crude and may be
>significantly better with asm optimization.

It must be noted that a Mac 7100/80 is an ancient machine by now.
Newer PPCs are VERY much faster.

   --- james mccartney     james at audiosynth.com   http://www.audiosynth.com
If you have a PowerMac check out SuperCollider2, a real time synth program:
ftp://www.audiosynth.com//pub/updates/SC2d24.sea.hqx