Learning Assembly Language

Roberta Eklund eklund at best.com
Tue Feb 16 02:42:07 EST 1999

hmmm.....There is downloadable from the intel web site
some tutorials and manuals on Intel Assembly language.

NOT FREE STUFF:
Also the VTUNE product from Intel has a few interesting
tidbits.  In the Microsoft Visual C++ help there is a section
on writing in-line assembly that is fairly good.

Then, there is a book called "The Zen of Code optimization"
that goes over Pentium assembly to a minor degree.

Personally, I would not recommend learning Intel Assembly as the
first type of assembly.  I would recommend learning Motorola
Microcontroller assembly (HC11 or 6809) or Texas Instruments.
I believe Motorola used to have a student kit of HC11 that you can
get for few $$$.
National Semiconductor also has some nice very well documented
microcontollers as I recall.

Intel assembly is not that well documented....maybe others on this
list know of more resources, but I use the Pentium Data book myself.
There you have it.

Seriously, I've written "professionally" different types of assembly
and by far, Intel is the most difficult of the major processors.

I think I might have become a pancake house owner if I had started
with Intel assembly...hey wait, I am a pancake house owner...just
kidding.