[music-dsp] Re: Scanned Synthesis - Csound Tutorials & Sources

Phil Green psgreen at miranda-tech.com
Sun Apr 30 18:49:02 EDT 2000

Richard Dobson observes

> I think you can always ~use~ an idea. Patents are not designed to
> prevent that.

Patents give the owner the exclusive right to "make, use, or sell"...  You
might be able to get away with using a patented invention for your personal
purposes because the patent owner might not find out or might choose to
ignore it. But if the owner is aware of your unlicensed use and does not try
to stop you or require that you take a license, it could compromise his
exclusivity.  I'm not a patent attorney, but I think when you purchase a
patented product (like software) and you use it to create another product,
you are doing so under an implied license limited to such use.

Phil Green