[music-dsp] What's unpredictability?

alexander lerch lerch at zplane.de
Thu Dec 14 07:05:00 EST 2000

Dear Claudio,

the unpredictability (also: measure of chaos) is a value to
detect (or to estimate) the tonality (tbb) of a frequency
band.
It's the error of a simple linear prediction:
if the prediction of a spectral value is bad (e.g. for noise),
the unpredictability is high and the tonality is small and
vice versa.

The masking index (here: SNR) is calculated with the resulting
tonality.

Hope this helps,
Alexander

--