[music-dsp] Suite56

Richard Dobson rwd at btconnect.com
Sat Aug 25 09:01:04 EDT 2001

I would reccommend you stick with it. I had to buy the development
tools, some 13 years ago, to work with a 56K ISA-based development board
that cost (for me) an obscene amount of money (all that zero wait-state
static RAM!), but did come with the very nice "BUG56" development
software by Ariel. The simulator (as all the other tools) was DOS, but
as I was using a 386 machine with 4MB RAM, that was just as well! The
simulator supported simulating clock signals to pins, and I found this
essential (together with an oscilloscope!) to figuring out how to build
an interface circuit to connect the SSI signals to a modified SONY PCM
601.

The Motorola tools are necessarily application-agnostic, as your system
could be anything from the aforementioned card, to the Atari falcon, the
NeXT cube, or some bespoke multi-chip system on a PC/VME/whatever bus.
So the instructions on building and loading onto 'the chip' will be
supplied with the evaluation kit/soundcard/whatever. The tools are not
meant to be 'educational' in the broad sense, but system tools for
engineers to use. That said, Motorola did publish an impressive number
of application notes, many with schematics for such things as graphic
equalisers

It would also be essential to have the User Manual for the chip; a
handsome red tome.

And if you can track down the software for the 'Accelerando' project at
U.Texas, Austin, you would have a large set of MusicN style unit
generators in 56K assembler to play with.

That ISA card is the main reason I will always hang on to one PC with
ISA slots, and an OS that allows me to address the memory-mapped ports
directly.

So I think 'wasps' is too harsh. Bees, maybe?

Richard Dobson

Anig Browl wrote:

> Downloaded 73mb of Motorola Suite56 SDK the other night. Is it me, or is
> this collection of utilities about as friendly as a wasp hive?
>
> Very powerful tools and they all seem to work OK, but Motorola don't win any
> prizes for accessibility. The GUI version of the simulator is actually the
> same program as the DOS version, there's no file component listing (cue half
> an hour of fiddling in a DOS window running things just to see what they
> are), and the documentation seems to assume that you already know everything
> that's worth knowing. I didn't expect it to be educational about DSP, but a
> section on 'compiling and running your first app on our chip' wouldn't have
> killed them. I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the evaluation kit, right now I
> feel like a 3 year old trying to install Linux :-)
>
> Anig Browl

Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)
CDP: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masjpf/CDP/CDP.htm (LU: 23rd February 2000)