[music-dsp] IIR steady state (was minimum samples for lowpass IIR)

D Lowenfels dfl at mit.edu
Sat Dec 8 02:39:13 EST 2001

This brings up a question that I have...

I am working with IIR notch filters. I noticed that if I increase the Q,
then the filter takes longer to reach steady state (kind of like
"leakage" as opposed to "ringing" I guess)

Is it possible to reach steady state earlier if I say feed it a sine
wave at the notch frequency beforehand? Otherwise I will have to reduce
the Q, since
I am working with very brief signals and too much leakage will be a
problem.

-David