[music-dsp] to those who used MME (waveX) calls

James Chandler Jr jchandjr at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 3 15:55:15 EST 2001

> i wonder why circular audio buffers may be better than
> a chain of fixed buffers. it's an interesting
> conceptual question ...

I think its just a matter of taste. On Mac audio programming, was in the
habit of using a pretty large circular buffer, with head and tail pointers
for disk access and audio in/out buffer stuffing. This was just for my own
use inside the program.

Old-style Mac i/o uses dual buffers for input and output to the hardware,
similar to PC except the Mac seemed a bit easier to program "as close to
real time as allowed by the sound hardware buffer size."

With a fairly large circular buffer, you only have to worry about
discontinuities when the pointers wrap around. This is probably a minor
point in the grand scheme of things, but circular buffers seem easier than
dealing with discontinuities at the head and tail of each small buffer.

> does anyone knows how to get that information from the
> card; thus how to know that native buffer size of a
> soundcard (via MME or DX or ...)

Am pretty sure there's a way, but can't recall at the moment.

James Chandler Jr.