[music-dsp] Sweep and Impulse testing

Al Clark aclark at danvillesignal.com
Tue Jul 17 23:13:05 EDT 2001

At 11:37 AM 7/17/01 -0700, Bob Cain wrote:

>Al Clark wrote:
> >
> > You might want to check out our DSP-8300 Module. It is programmed
> > using an ordinary terminal program like HyperTerminal (comes with
> > Windows).
> >
> > The module is the size of a credit card. It uses a ADSP-2186M, an
> > AC-97 codec, and a flash based PIC loader.
>
>Dan, how long a stereo FIR can the module process in real time?

The module runs at 49,152 MHz. Therefore assuming 48kHz sampling you can
execute 1024 instructions per sample. The AC-97 supports variable sampling
rates of 44.1K, 32K, 22.05K, 11.025K and 8K as well. With lower sampling
rates you can execute longer filters of course.

The AC-97 driver and other software will consume some resources. FIR
filters take one cycle per tap plus a little overhead for initialization.

Therefore a reasonable approximation would be about 400-450 taps for each
FIR at 48kHz sampling.

We have a development toolkit available with some sample code.

Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.