[music-dsp] a question about the musicdsp archive, I need your opinions
Bram De Jong
Bram.DeJong at rug.ac.be
Sat Sep 22 08:06:48 EDT 2001
the new music-dsp site is nearing completion...
new features are:
- a message board for dsp related stuff
- the archive is SEARCHABLE and it's possible to comment on each
algorithm, www.php.net style!
- better layout which looks like da bomb (imho ;)
- everything is database/PHP driven, so you won't have to wait 5 months
untill there are updates ;) Still about 20 emails in my MDSP folder
waiting to get parsed! No worries, they will be added to the new version!
Now the question: smartelectronix, which hosts the archive is not the most
perfect server, but it's *free*. The problem is that -for example-
smartelectronix's database support is NOT built into the server itself
and everytime the server reboots (which is like once a week :( ) we have
to manualy restart MySQL!
So, I'm looking for a new server for smartelectronix AND the archive...
But, good servers/service cost money.
Some options are:
1. find someone who can host us on a server w/ propper support
2. find a sponsor who will sponsor the archive in return for -for example-
banners or a 'fixed' logo
3. ask people to donate to the cause (i.e. non-obliged donations!)
I obviously can't charge money for viewing the archive as it's all you
guys who made it possible after all!
Any ideas/comments/thoughts are welcome!
If you would like to see what the 'pre-beta' version of the new archive
looks like (sponsoring?), mail me personaly.
Bram - Smartelectronix / the archive
dupswapdrop -- the music-dsp mailing list and website: subscription info,
FAQ, source code archive, list archive, book reviews, dsp links
More information about the music-dsp