[music-dsp] Ratio Between Consecutive Semitones

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Mon Dec 16 12:17:01 EST 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 13.41, Theo wrote:
[...]
> If you have a Waldorf mini wave like instrument you should check
> out the "Hermode (sp?)" tuning.
> This is a dynamic tuning mode that re-tunes notes depending on the
> interval played.

That sure sounds interesting. Any details about how it's implemented,
hints as to what theory it's based on, or anything?

> Hermode can make for smoother chords, the effect on solo lines IMO
> a bit more subtle.

As expected, I'd think... You need some sort of reference pitch for
the scale, and with onlf one note played, that would probably be the
one - and it might as well be picked from the 12tET scale.

> BTW In the wild your bands brass players do the same thing.

Applies to singers as well, I'd think. It's easier to just sing what
*sounds* right at the moment, than what happens to be specified in
the compromize that is the 12tET scale. After all, with continous
pitch, your only reference is what you hear - unless you have too
much of a perfect pitch sense, that is.