[music-dsp] The magic number 44100 (ot)

Theo t.hogers at home.nl
Wed Jan 9 22:30:35 EST 2002

I think its a nice story, but Philips first developed the CD (took them a
decade or so), then Sony jumped in on a almost finished project.
Rather unlikely a Sony CEO had any influence on basic choices like
disk size, bit resolution or sample rate.
More likely a Natlab engineer was is a rather bad mood and
expressed his emotions by choosing 44100.

Theo
BTW anybody remember the Sony pcm unit+vidiorecorder
with 80kHz (88400 ??) sample rate?

From: Michael Gogins <gogins at pipeline.com>