[music-dsp] [OT] P4 v Athlon?

Guiseppi Mendoza guiseppi at mendozadil.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 18:43:37 EDT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:06:31 +0000, SOMEONE articulated, I'd better
not say who :

>- Intel or AMD doesn't matter. Processor functionality is thesame.
>  (Except for unrevealed microcode bugs that exists in all processors
>  that I can think of). Note that Intel Pentiums won't go up in smoke
>  when the temperature exceeds reasonable limits.

Well, I've just bought an Asus A7V333-Raid with an Amd XP 1900+ and
512Mb of PC2700 etc... I'm _very_ happy with the complete boost in
speed over my old PIII450, which I've been using for 4 years.

The Asus board has COP, which means the computer will shutdown if
either the board or Proc. is overheating beyond a certain temp, so the
Intel vs Amd thingy for fried procs doesn't have to be really ;)

The Intel Proc's do have a few things the Amd's don't, SSE2
instructions probably being the most important, but there are few apps
out there that support this yet, I think.

>- If you also want blistering performance with Cakewalk Sonar, better
>  spend a large amount of cash on a professional audio I/O card. It can
>  reduce CPU usage significantly (hardware mixin'?).

I need something like an RME Hammerfall LE, when I can afford it...
Come to think of it, they are only about £250 now, not too expensive..
These have the drivers rolled into the hardware, with claimed zero
impact on your main CPU. Though in the real world..... ;)

My first PC soundcard was a SB Pro - 8 bit.
It cost £200 !!!! It's now a complete piece of shit :)

My first Adat card was a Korg 1212 io.
It cost £400 !!! It's drivers are too crap to even work with the Asus
board and even if they did, I'd be stuck with win98.
It's a complete piece of shit :) (anyone want to buy it?)

G!

http://www.mendozadil.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.getoutthere.com/_nav/music/charts/info/9491
http://www.ampfea.org/sln/browse.php?num=3&a_id=132