[music-dsp] Frequency domain never ceases to amaze me...

Richard Dobson rwd at btconnect.com
Mon Mar 3 03:50:01 EST 2003

In principle, any alteration to individual frequency bins (speaking in pvoc
terms) will do this; as the various components in the source sound are
represented by multiple frequency bins in the analysis (indeed, in most cases,
by all of them, because of spectral leakage, windowing etc).  In practice,
masking and other conveniences mean that a lot of effects can sound remarkably
clean; though they would not stand up to scrutiny by those with Golden Ears.

And it is always possible to say  "that's what I want it to sound like".

Richard Dobson