[music-dsp] Mathematical prereqs?

James Chandler Jr jchandjr at bellsouth.net
Thu May 15 18:45:00 EDT 2003

> I am wondering what the best math courses that serve as a prereq for
> fully understanding DSP are outside of what one might find in a
> standard Computer Science degree

Please don't take this as expert advice, but if you were gonna actually
take a few extra college courses, wonder if some carefully selected EE
courses would be useful in understanding DSP?

I got a fair "practical working knowledge" of electronics via
self-study, but never took any Electrical Engineering courses at
college. Some DSP books apparently assume that the student is familiar
with EE math concepts. For non-EE's who had an assortment of general
math courses, perhaps this is one reason DSP books can seem "difficult
to understand" if we didn't pay the proper dues in EE classes?

Self-study can be great, but, at least in my case, it can be difficult
to pick up all the necessary concepts if a prof isn't "rubbing your
nose" in areas which "do not seem immediately interesting or useful"?

James Chandler Jr.