[music-dsp] Sound compression patents

m meroveus at iprimus.com.au
Tue Oct 21 22:59:00 EDT 2003

In theory, algorithms cannot be patented.

</RANT>However, in this crazy f*cked up modern world, the patent offices are
awarding patents for almost anything.
However, I believe there is some distinction between mathematical algorithms
and "nonmathematical" algorithms, in which nonmathematical algorithms can be
patented.
More than one person including I, believes that ALL algorithms are
mathematical in nature, and thus are unpatentable.
But try to tell those overpaid fools running the courts that! </RANT>

There are _many_ patents relating to sound compression - it is a veritable
minefield.
The least of your worries is finding out what they are.
If a company believes you have transgressed one of their patents, they can
tie you up for years with summons and legal expenses, even if you are in the
right.

This is an extremely complex area, thus I believe you should seek the
services of a qualified patent attorney, who specializes in software
patents.

I honestly believe the best way to benefit from your discoveries is to use
them and keep their knowledge to yourself.
If you want to make money from them, you will have to tempt a big company
into buying them from you.

-meroveus