[music-dsp] fast algorithm for seamless joining of two cut waveforms

Anders Torger torger at ludd.luth.se
Fri Oct 24 05:54:00 EDT 2003

Say we have a sound signal A and a sound signal B. When A ends, B takes over.
The problem is that the A waveform can end at any amplitude, and B can also
start at any amplitude. Thus, there is a great risk that there will be an
audible clicking sound in the joint.

What I need is an algorithm that modifies the B waveform so it connects
smoothly to A.

A and B actually comes from the same original signal, but processed with
convolution with different filters. The goal here is thus to remove the
potential clicking artifact when filters are changed.

The algorithm must be relatively cheap in terms of processor cycles. The
algorithm to lengthen A a block into B and then fade out/in and mix will
probably sound just great, but is too demanding, since in the overlap block
the convolution must be made with both filters -> twice the processor time
needed -> realtime performance strongly reduced.

Some sort of simple time-domain solution would be great I think. Any ideas?

/Anders Torger