[music-dsp] synthesize a couple of octaves :)

Sergei Gerasenko gerases at publicschoolworks.com
Fri Apr 9 12:42:31 EDT 2004

> If your developing under Linux (I think you said you were) you should look
> at JACK (http://jackit.sourceforge.net/) and LADSPA (http://ladspa.org/)
> woth make it very easy to write PCM software under Linux. JACK is more
> designed for applications, and LADSPA is for plugins.

Thanks, Steve. Here's the complication. Although I'm developing under
Linux, I'm writing a program for a Palm Tungsten T3. No, actually I'm
modifying an existing program that takes music in ABC format and plays
it. But it plays it using the simple sound facility of the Palm OS
(which is just beeps). I don't know if you know this, but new Palms have
the ability to play PCM data (they call it "sampled sound"). I want to
modify the program so that it uses sampled sound.

So, I think I need a library that is not bound to the Intel processor
and is very light. I think JACK is intended to run on a PC as a server
all the time, right? LADSPA may do the trick but I need to see how it
would work with integrating it into palm executables.

If you have more suggestions in light of these new facts ( :) ), please
let me know.

In any case, thanks!!!