[music-dsp] Soft-knee algo & implementation

Citizen Chunk citizenchunk at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 13:50:01 EST 2004

followup:

i think i have a good transfer function now, but am having trouble
figuring out what softThreshHi should be.

(ignore the use of pow(). i'll get efficient later.)

Soft is a parameter that controls the width of the soft-knee. at Soft =
0, the knee is nonexistent, and hence, "hard". at Soft = 1, the knee
extends from the threshold^2 (in dB, this would be double the
threshold) to some intersection above the threshold. i can't seem to
figure out a formular for this intersection, which would be my
softThreshHi.

[code]

// soft-knee thresholds
softThreshLo = pow ( Thresh, (1.0 + Soft);
softThreshHi = ?????

// in sample loop ...
if ( env > softThreshHi )
	gR = pow ( (thresh / env), (1.0 - ratio) );
else if ( env > softThreshLo )
	gR = pow ( ( ( 1.0 - env + thresh*(env - softThreshLo) ) / (1.0 -
softThrehLo) ), (1.0 - ratio) );
else
	gR = 1.0;

[/code]

i tried setting up an equality with my regular comp function and my
soft comp function, but i just couldn't reduce it to something that
gave me the upper intersection.

does anyone have any ideas? if you have a completely different way of
doing this, please let me know.