[music-dsp] Peaks in a wave file

Angelo Farina farina at pcfarina.eng.unipr.it
Wed Jan 7 15:53:00 EST 2004

Use SpectraLab, from Sound Technology (www.soundtechnology.com). You can set
a trigger, having an FFT Spectrum being computed from each pulse, and You
can have the results automatically saved in an ASCII TXT file. You can save
the spectral values, or just the overall SPL, if You like.
Then import the ASCII file in Excel and You will make easily the polar plot.
What I do not understand is why You use 16 loudspeakers... You could have
just employed a single loudspeaker (which ensures that exactly the same
sound is being radiated, it is very difficult to find 2 matched loudpeakers,
16 is surely impossible). Of course, this means that You have to rotate Your
dummy head for each measurement, but this can be easily done with a
turntable. I own a very cheap turntable, produced in Italy by Outline
(www.outline.it). It costed around 600 Euros, can be easily driven by any
computer simply employing the second channel of the sound card, and can give
You polar plots with any angular resolution (down to 2.5 degrees).
You can easily setup SpectraLab for playing a special test signal, which
contains Your burst in the left channels, and a syncronized spike on the
right channel (with proper delay), which is employed for triggering the next
step of the turntable.
Furthermore, as You are using an anechoic chamber, why You do You wait 5s
before the next measurement? 1s should be plenty enough...
Bye!

Angelo Farina