[music-dsp] sounds under water...

Nicolas Fournel nicolasfournel at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 22:28:01 EST 2004

Hi Bram,

Re 3 : You might want to check the work of Michel Redolfi who was working at the CIRM in Nice (France) in the 80s / 90s and has done several underwater concerts. I think he has done that in California too, and that they were quite advanced (including multi speaker system, underwater instrumentists etc...).

Nicolas

Smartelectronix - Bram de Jong <bram at smartelectronix.com> wrote: hey guys,

I've long had this idea of working together with the city I live in to make
an under-water audio installation in one of the few pools we have here...

I was thinking a multi-speaker, multi-channel emersive (pun intended) audio
environment.

Now the questions are simple :

1. what apparatus can be used? I know there exist under water speakers, but
they would probably cost a lot! Could ABOVE-water transducers be used, when
coupled to an object that goes sub-water-level? (think metal/plastic/...
sheets that "hang" into the pool)

2. what difference does water make on the acoustics? Would low-frequencies
work? would you be able to get nice stereo sounds with speakers around the
pool?

3. has anyone got experience with this sort of stuff? any other pointers?

4. have I gone completely start raving mad? ;-)

Combined with propper lighting and opening the pool at night, it would be
quite fun to have people diving upder the water to hear what's going on...

- bram

--
http://www.smartelectronix.com
http://www.musicdsp.org