[music-dsp] Is 10-bit ADC input good enough for speech?

Russell Borogove kaleja at estarcion.com
Sun Jan 11 12:12:01 EST 2004

> I have a chance to buy a cheap, used, beta-version DSP module for speech
> processing ... BUT ... it has only
> a 10-bit ADC in the input circuit.  [It's cheap coz the final production
> version has a better ADC ... but is expensive]
>
> So: is 10-bits enough to record the human voice "cleanly"? Or should I
spend
> more money?

Depends on your application. 10 bits translates to a noise
floor something like 60dB below peak, which is (IIRC) like
a good cassette deck - there will be noise there, but you
may not care depending on what you're trying to do.

Also, if the production version is identical except for the
selection of ADC, it might be possible to upgrade the 10-bitter
yourself. Lots of reasons why it might not work, though :)

-Borogove