[music-dsp] diy dsp synth - where to start?

Damien Cirotteau cirotix at yahoo.fr
Wed Jan 21 01:17:01 EST 2004

[snip]
> > For two totally audio and multimedia focused distros, have a
> > look at DeMuDi (Debian based) and RehMuDi (Redhat based) here:
> >
> > 	http://www.agnula.org/
>
> Would these be preferable to use instead of, say, a normal Redhat distro? I
> mean, it's not like I'm going to use the computer for any music production
> or anything like that, only as a host for my custom software.

The advantage you will get is that the kernel is already configured for real-time.
They are three patches (low-latency, preemption and capability).

I don't know about ReHMudi, but for DeMuDi, you can install a basic
Debian and get only the DeMuDi kernel. If you install DeMuDi it will
take you about 1.5Go, if you don't plan to do music on it, it is maybe
not necessary.
Another solution is to patch yourself the kernel and recompile it.
Have a look at

http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#a5
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/tunesystem.html#SECTION00025520000000000000

The last one is from the doc of another nice multimedia distribution
based on Red Hat/Fedora develloped by CCRMA - Stanford University.

best
damien