[music-dsp] diy dsp synth - where to start?

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 21 03:02:00 EST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 01.47, Jimmy Myhrman wrote:
> Oh, I see. So with the 2.6 kernel, maybe even a non-RT-patched
> minimal Redhat would be able to do the job.

That's the idea, sort of, but so far, vanilla 2.6 (the test versions)
hasn't been able to deliver quite the performance we hoped for.

It's also important to keep in mind that the modifications that cut
the latencies are primarilly meant for improving overall performance
in servers, and scalability to high end SMP systems. Even if future
2.6 kernels may be capable of delivering excellent real time
performance, your average workstation or standard server (ie four
CPUs or less) distro may not come with kernels configured for that.