[music-dsp] To open source or to not open source...

gogins at pipeline.com gogins at pipeline.com
Wed Jan 28 10:01:20 EST 2004

Thanks to both Andrew and Ross for a good discussion of the issues in a
concrete situation.

My advice to Andrew:  Make a thorough investigation of existing software to
see if it does what you are planning to do, or could fairly easily be
extended to do what you are planning to do. If it does, or can,
FUGGEDABOUDID. Do the extensions, or write plugins, or make music, or
something.

Second, if you choose to proceed with your project, another factor
influencing the open source decision is whether your project would use much
open source software. If you find yourself using PortAudio, libsndfile,
FLTK, wxWindows, FFTW, Python, Lua, boost, etc., etc., then I would argue
that this means your own software also should be open source. This, of
course, is especially true if you use free software.

The basic argument is that if software is made from other software,
everybody benefits ECONOMICALLY from open source and free software. In that
case, if you need to make money, I would suggest charging for services.

Nobody's figured out how to do that in music, however... oh yes they
have... it's called "producing.":